Friday, June 09, 2006

State GOP fundraiser got wrong number

June 9, 2006

By Matthew Tully
Indianapolis Star

The guy on the phone wanted money -- my money.

With a squeak in his voice and a script in front of him, he called me at work just before lunchtime Wednesday.

"Hello," he said. "This is Lawrence Stewart calling with your Indiana Republican Party."

Excuse me? I don't have a Republican Party. Or any party.

But I was intrigued. So I let Lawrence continue.

"With strong Republican leaders at the helm now," he said, "we are finally making some progress and turning the state around."

Then he warned me about Democrats.

"They see this as their year to win at the ballot box," he said. "We cannot afford to let that happen. Wouldn't you agree?"

Hey, nobody told me there would be a quiz!

Read more about Matthew Tully Republican Phone call at the Star.