Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hill Responds to President’s Speech in New Albany Today

Washington, D.C. – Congressman Baron Hill attended an event in New Albany this afternoon during which the President primarily spoke about economic and energy issues. In response, Hill issued the following statement:

“I was pleased to welcome the President to New Albany today. It is always a distinction to have a President visit your district and acknowledge the hard work of its residents.

I hear the President’s message about the need for fiscal responsibility loud and clear; it’s an issue I have been championing since I first came to Congress in 1999. I find it odd and ironic, however, that the President has only now begun emphasizing fiscal responsibility. For six years spending ran wild under his leadership and he did nothing to stop it. To lay blame for out-of-control deficits on the Democrats is short-sighted and simply incorrect.

This Congress has not only preached the need for fiscal responsibility, but is practicing it. By enacting PAYGO rules, we must offset any new spending we create so as not to add to our escalating budget deficit. And, I have also introduced a bill that would go two steps further and make PAYGO rules law as well as mandating discretionary spending caps.

I also had the opportunity to speak with the President about my bill to increase fuel efficiency standards, and he concurred with several aspects of the Hill-Terry CAFE bill, H.R. 2927. This legislation is one of my top priorities and I will continue advocating its merits as part of a comprehensive energy package to reduce our dependence on foreign fuels.

I am very disappointed in the President’s resistance to working with Congress. I realize we have our differences and conflicting priorities, yet for the sake of the American people we must make progress. The President signed the Department of Defense Appropriations bill today, which is a good first step. However, at the same time, he vetoed a bill that funds critical education, health and labor programs. And, he asked Congress to send him a “clean” supplemental funding bill for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. “Clean” is the President’s code word for a continuation of his “stay-the-course” strategy in Iraq. I have said repeatedly that I will not give the President a blank check for his war in Iraq. Instead of dictating the agenda, the President should instead work together to do what is in the best interest of all Americans.”